Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Asparagus and Bacon Quiche


You can't walk through the produce section of most grocery stores this time of year, without seeing row upon row of fresh Asparagus. It is, after all, THE Spring vegetable. Of course, I just had to buy some.

So, I started thinking about what I could do with a fresh bunch of Asparagus, that 1) wouldn't take long to prepare and 2) would help use up the eggs that I had on hand so that I could buy some fresh new eggs for all of my Easter preparations? Hmmm... Perfect solution? Quiche, of course!

Stretching my tired old brain a little more, I knew that I always have onions in the pantry and almost always have bacon or some sort of ham from the deli. And well, cheese in a myriad of forms and flavors is pretty much a staple around here. Et voila! Last night's dinner turned out to be a big fat no-brainer. Asparagus and Bacon Quiche!


Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees

To Make the Custard
  • 4 to 6 Lg Eggs (I had 5, so that's what I used)
  • 2 Cups of Milk
  • 1 to 2 Cups Cheese, shredded
  • Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
Whisk the Eggs, Milk and Salt & Pepper in a medium mixing bowl or a 4 cup measuring cup. Shred your cheese(s) in a small bowl and set aside. (You don't have to use full-fat milk or cheese, but I wouldn't recommend fat-free.  I used 2% Milk and full-fat Cheddar Cheese with a bit of Swiss that I had in the fridge as well)


For the Crust
  • 1 Recipe of your favorite Pie Crust or 
  • 1 Refrigerated "already made" Pie Crust
I had a package of the pre-made pie crust and I just froze the unwrapped second crust to use for a rustic apple tart at a later date. I used a 10-inch tart pan, but you can use a 9-inch pie plate as well.


For the Filling
  • 1 Small Onion, chopped
  • 1 Cup Cooked Bacon or Deli Ham, chopped
  • 1 Lg Bunch Asparagus, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces ("woody" ends discarded)
  • 1 Tbls Butter
  • 1 Tbls Light Olive or Vegetable Oil
  • Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
Saute the asparagus and onion in the butter and oil for about 5 minutes, or until they are just starting to get tender and add in the already cooked bacon or ham for a few more minutes to combine the flavors. Season the mixture with a bit more salt & pepper. Allow it to cool for just a few minutes.


Spread the slightly cooled asparagus mixture evenly over the unbaked pie crust and sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top.


Pour the custard mixture over the top, giving it a gentle little jiggle to distribute the liquid evenly.


Bake at 375 for 30 to 35 minutes (approx) or until the custard is set and slightly puffed up and the tip of a paring knife comes out clean/dry. I served mine with a tossed green salad, but you can make a different side of your choice or eat it on its own. It's great when it's fresh and hot out of the oven, or equally as good served at room temperature.



Don't Forget To Follow Me On Social Media! I Post Blog Updates, Ideas For Kitchen "How To's", Restaurant Recommendations And Reviews... And Always Lots Of Photos!




You Can Have New Posts From Go Ahead Take A Bite Delivered Right To Your Inbox! Just Enter Your Email Address Here:


Delivered by FeedBurner
We will never send any advertising or provide your email address to any other blogs or businesses.

Don't forget that you can print this (or any) recipe using the "Print Friendly" button at the foot of each post. It's a great little feature that allows you to remove any pictures (or any text that isn't relevant to the recipe) before printing. That can save on ink and paper & in today's economy, who doesn't want to save a little cash when you can?!


10 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous quiche! Love the combination of asparagus and bacon! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mary, you did it again. Always amazing me with your brilliance and cooking! This looks so yummy I can hardly stand it! I think this would be good for brunch? Don't you think? I love asparagus!
    Have a blessed Easter!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! I pinned it - love asparagus and bacon and I have asparagus coming in my garden! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! I pinned it - love asparagus and bacon and I have asparagus coming in my garden! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary,
    We just love Quiche and your Asparagus and Bacon Quiche looks awesome! Hope you have a fabulous Celebration Week End and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely quiche.I wish I had found this recipe in time for Easter brunch. This is my first visit to your site, so I've spent some time browsing through your earlier posts.I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word, Mary - another amazing post! I love Quiche and yours looks divine! I was thinking, as I visited your blog today, that there are some bloggers I visit that I could feature every week, given an opportunity, and you definitely fall into that category! Thanks once more for "inspiring" me this Monday (if I ever end up on The Biggest Loser - I'll be sure to mention you by name - lol!)

    P.S. I also enjoyed your "dip" post and got a good chuckle out of your line about how visiting adult children always have a lot of food requests - no truer words were ever spoken! Have a fabulous week, dear friend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. MJ: Thanks so much!

    Susie: What a sweet thing to say! Your gonna make me blush, ya know. I've done it for Easter brunch a couple of times, but I made a few different things this year. (I'll be posting them soon)

    Michelle: Thanks for pinning this! I've always wanted to grow asparagus and heard that even people with a brown thumb like me can do it. LOL I might have to give it a try.

    Miz Helen: As usual, the pleasure was all mine. Thank YOU for hosting such a great party!

    Meredith: Thanks so much!

    Melanie: Thank you! Hope you do give it a try!

    Mary: Thank you so much for stopping by! I'll be posting some of this year's Easter brunch recipes soon, so maybe one of them will come in handy for next year. Do come by again, any time!

    Ramona: LOL! At the rate I've been eating, I'll probably be a contestant on TBL with you! Thanks so much for such a sweet comment and for hosting such a fabulous party every week!

    XOXO ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I read every one and they truly make my day! I no longer allow anonymous comments due to increases in spam, etc. SUBSCRIBE to the COMMENTS on this post (below) to get a notice of my reply via email! Thanks for stopping by and for absolutely making my day! XOXO Mary

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...